Professional Titles

In Manitoba, individuals must be registered with the College of Dietitians of Manitoba (the College) in order to practise using a professional title. These professional titles are protected by law:

  • Registered Dietitian, RD
  • Dietitian (or equivalent title in another language)
  • Graduate Dietitian, GD
  • Dietetic Intern, DI

Titles Are Not Portable

All Dietitians must be registered in the province where they practise in order to have the right to use a professional title. Registration in one province does not mean the title may be used while working in another province.

For example:

  • Practicum students coming to Manitoba to complete a rotation must be registered with the College
  • Dietitians coming to Manitoba to provide advice at a public speaking engagement must be registered with the College
  • Dietitians who are physically located outside of Manitoba and provide virtual dietetic services to Manitoba residents must be registered with the College

I am a member of the Dietitians of Canada. Does this grant me the right to use the professional title Dietitian?
No.  Dietitians of Canada is an association. It is not a regulatory body. You must be registered with a provincial regulatory body in order to use the professional title.

Continuing Competence
Learn about the requirements of the Continuing Competence Program
Learn More
Get answers to your questions about Continuing Competence.
Learn More
Professional Liability Insurance
Find ways to obtain insurance.
Learn More