In Manitoba, individuals must be registered with the College of Dietitians of Manitoba (the College) in order to practise using a professional title. These professional titles are protected by law:
- Registered Dietitian, RD
- Dietitian (or equivalent title in another language)
- Graduate Dietitian, GD
- Dietetic Intern, DI
Titles Are Not Portable
All Dietitians must be registered in the province where they practise in order to have the right to use a professional title. Registration in one province does not mean the title may be used while working in another province.
- Dietetic interns coming to Manitoba for a portion of their internship must be registered with the College
- Dietitians coming to Manitoba to provide advice at a public speaking engagement must be registered with the College
Exception for virtual practice:
Dietitians who are physically located outside of Manitoba must meet the following requirements in order to provide virtual dietetic services to residents of Manitoba:
- Must have full registration in good standing with a dietetic regulatory body in another Canadian province. Those who are waiting to successfully complete the Canadian Dietetic Registration Exam, may not provide virtual dietetic services to residents of Manitoba.
- Must contact the provincial regulatory body/bodies where they are registered to request a Verification of Registration form be completed and sent to the College of Dietitians of Manitoba (CDM)
- Must contact CDM prior to providing services.
- Must disclose where they are registered to Manitoba clients.
I am a member of the Dietitians of Canada. Does this grant me the right to use the professional title Dietitian?
No. Dietitians of Canada is an association. It is not a regulatory body. You must be registered with a provincial regulatory body in order to use the professional title.